Wednesday, January 2, 2013

A New Dawn, A New Day, A New Life

Well, I've been sitting on this blog for a few weeks now trying to think about what my first post should be about. Unfortunately, I haven't made much progress yet, but I've decided, in light of the new year, I'm just gonna do it. I'm just gonna whip something out there and let it fly. It won't be my greatest piece of writing (of that I am sure), but at least it will get the ball rolling. Heck, what better time to start a new blog than in a new year?!

So I suppose I should do the normal "reflect-on-2012-resolve-for-2013" thing that's taking over social media. 2012 has been an interesting year for me. I would say that the biggest, most beneficial thing that happened to me this year was quitting my old job and starting my new one. It was hard to do at the time, but I am in a much happier place now. In fact, although my new job has pretty much absolutely nothing to do with writing, it is the whole reason I started writing seriously. My new job gives me so much down time that I just figured, if I can make something productive out of it instead of just surfing the web all day every day, that would be awesome. And that's what I did. I started writing my first novel in May and I'm proud to say that today I will be submitting my story to a handful of agents in hopes that one of them will take it and run (not literally though, 'cause that's plaigerism).

As far as 2013 is concerned, I am very excited. Just like the title of this blog post describes, I feel that this year is the year for "new"s. Up until this point, I never really knew what I wanted to do with my life. I've always felt like a vagabond of sorts, having no real direction, just going with the flow and being happy in the moment. Maybe I was afraid to say where I wanted to go because I thought it meant that I was unhappy with my life as it is, or maybe I just really hadn't put the pieces together yet. But now, over the course of the last few months, it's become clearer and clearer to me that maybe writing was what I wanted to do all along. I've always said that I want to do something where I can be my own boss, I can create my own hours and I have the room to be creative. It's kind of incredible to think that writing never really occurred to me. It fits so perfectly. In fact, I can remember my dad saying to me in Junior High that he wouldn't be surprised if my job involved a lot of writing when I grew up. I've always been good at writing, and fast at it, too. An essay that my college classmates worked hours and hours and sometimes even days on, I could crank out in an hour or two.

So, I'm gonna do it. I'm going to try to become a writer. And that kind of scares me because writing doesn't generally produce a stable income and I'm not guaranteed to make it. But as Michael Jordan once said, "You miss 100% of the shots your don't take." If I fail, so what, at least I'll know that I gave it my best shot, but I'm resolving in 2013 to work on a career in writing. And the wonderful thing about it all, is I'm in a position right now where I don't have to go all or nothing. I've been blessed with a job that provides a decent enough income as well as numerous amounts of down time in which I can work on my writing at work. So I feel like this job is kind of the stepping stone and the support I need to give this writing thing a go...

...which brings me to the purpose of this blog. I'm not going to label this blog and say it's for one certain purpose. I'm just going to let it be whatever it becomes. I'll use it as a journal and a brainstorming space and a networking tool. Really, I just want to to become a catch-all for all types of thoughts and ideas. Thus the name. You probably won't see "professional", beautiful, well-put-together, Nobel Peace Prize winning articles here. This is the chicken scratch straight from my brain; raw, unsensored, chaotic at times, and hopefully not too mundane. I hope that over time, I will gain more readership and this can be a more interactive tool between me and any/all readers.

And now, reading back on everything I've just written, it's nothing like what I thought I was going to be writing my first blog post about. But that's ok. This blog is not about writing perfectly or even writing what you started out to write. It's just about writing, in all shapes, sizes, forms and ways. And I have to say that, after one post, it's easy to see that it's already a success.

So now, I will leave you once again, with the words of Nina Simone... "It's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's a new life... and I'm feelin' good."

No comments:

Post a Comment